Major Investment Projects
Chandler MHM acts for clients on preparing and processing applications for investment promotion and on implementation of Board of Investment (“BOI”) and Industrial Estate Authority of Thailand (“IEAT”) projects in the hospitality industry, petrochemicals, electronics, computers, mining, high‐end manufacturing, F&B, and other industries. Chandler MHM acts for both BOI promoted and non‐promoted companies on land acquisition and licensing (factory licenses, building permits and other approvals), and on the drafting and negotiation of shareholder, construction, consulting and financing agreements regarding establishment of new joint ventures and factories. Chandler MHM acts for owners and lenders on major real estate projects, in Bangkok, and across Thailand.
Recent examples include:
- Consortium member - representing a consortium member in its bid for the Phase 3 expansion of Laem Chabang Container Port, one of the government’s key projects in the Eastern Economic Corridor. Project value: approximately USD 5 billion.
- Consortium member - representing a consortium member in its bid for the operation and maintenance work on the M6 and M81 highway projects. The Department of Highways is tendering contracts for the O&M services by way of a PPP contract model.
- A European manufacturer - representing a European manufacturer in drafting and negotiating construction, logistics, design and services contracts in connection with a greenfield factory development in eastern Thailand based on an EPCM structure.
- GC Oxirane Co., Ltd. - advised GC Oxirane, Co., Ltd. on the development/project financing of a propylene oxide project in Rayong, Province, Thailand.
- GC Polyols Co., Ltd. - advised borrowers/sponsors, GC Polyols Co., Ltd., Sanyo Chemical Industries, Ltd. and Toyota Tsusho Corp on the development project financing of a polyether polyols plant in Rayong Province, Thailand.
- Project sponsor - represented the project sponsor in the negotiation of Design-Build Agreement (FIDIC Yellow Book, 1999) for the development of a 50 MW solar farm in Vietnam. Our work consisted of negotiating the terms of the Agreement; advising on overall transaction structure; and drafting and revising ancillary documents such as guarantees and employer’ requirements. Agreement signed in October, 2018, COD June 2019. Approximate value USD 43 million.
- Project sponsor - represented the project sponsor in drafting and negotiating the Engineering, Procurement and Construction Agreement (FIDIC Silver Book, 2017) and the Operation & Maintenance Agreement for the development of Phase 1 of a 330MW intertidal wind farm in Vietnam. Our work has consisted of drafting the Particular Conditions of Contract; revising the Contract Agreement, Employer’s Requirements and other ancillary documents. Approximate deal value for Phase 1 is over USD 100 million.
- Project sponsor - represented the project sponsor in drafting the phase 2 Operations & Maintenance Agreement for an open-pit coal mine in Laos.
- Progress Interchem (Thailand) Company Ltd. - advising the borrower and the sponsor on this financing transaction for the development of a VSPP waste-to-energy power project in Ratchaburi Province in Thailand. This is the first waste-to-energy project to be developed by B.Grimm Power PCL, one of the oldest power producers in Thailand.
- Japanese infrastructure and real estate investment fund - represented a Japanese infrastructure and real estate investment fund sponsored by the Japanese government in its investment in a complex city development project in the suburbs of Bangkok with another major Japanese real estate developer and a local Thai developer.
- Tyson Foods, Inc. - advised Tyson Foods, Inc. the purchaser (UK majority-owned) on the acquisition of shares in Thai subsidiaries and advising on the shareholding structure for operating a feed mill, livestock, a hatchery, a slaughterhouse, and a food processing business by the majority foreign-owned company.
- Sumitomo - advised Sumitomo on a detailed feasibility study regarding the manufacture and sale of butadiene derivatives in Thailand, and specifically advised on the joint venture agreement between the three parties to the agreement.
- Japanese conglomerate - advised a well-known Japanese conglomerate to form a joint venture with the MK Restaurant Group Pcl. In Thailand. The purpose of the joint venture was to combine corporate strengths in order to set-up/run a frozen food/logistics business.
- Japanese conglomerate - advised a well-known Japanese conglomerate to form a joint venture with Best Global Logistics (Thailand) Ltd., a third party logistics service provider offering a broad range of global logistics solutions.
Enquiries about Major Investment Projects
Please contact us by E-mail.